The Internet is a place of extreme!! From Kardashian to Math trivia, anything and everything can break the internet.
One such instance has been a “simple” math problem!!
- Mumsnet user Peerie Breeks shared a math riddle on a message board for parents.
- The question asks how much money a man makes or loses after buying and selling horses.
- It racked up almost 500 comments with different answers.
- The correct answer is that he made $20.
While the answers ranged from $10, $20, &30, what seems to be throwing people off is the fact that the man sells the horse for $70 and then repurchases it for $80, making it look like he spent 10 more dollars. But the correct way to solve the problem is to think of the two transactions as separate: -60 + 70 = 10 and -80 + 90 = 10.
Dive deeper for the correct answer here
Now, this Chinese Math Question had me scratching my hair!!
This isn’t the first time a math problem went viral! Sometime back, a Chinese math question took the internet by frenzy!
- A Chinese math question for 5th graders asks “If a ship had 26 sheep and 10 goats onboard, how old is the ship’s captain?”
- It’s going viral because no one can figure out how to solve it.
- The solution may or may not have anything to do with math.
After the test question went viral, the Shunqing Education Department released a statement saying that the problem was meant to “examine… critical awareness and an ability to think independently,” according to a BBC translation.
If so, whether or not the math problem is solvable isn’t relevant. The point is to encourage students to think creatively about possible ways to figure it out and come up with their own answers.
Well, yeah!! Why not!!
Oh, and do you remember this one
The question, posed by popular YouTube account MindYourDecisions, was initially posted on Aug. 31, 2016, but is making the rounds across the internet again. Why? People keep arriving at two different answers: 1 and 9.
To solve the problem, you need to remember PEMDAS, otherwise known as the order of operations. In case you forgot, PEMDAS standards for: parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction.
To solve a problem with PEMDAS, first, you solve anything dealing with parentheses and exponents and then move left to the right with the remaining operations. Try it for yourself below.
According to the man behind this YouTube account, Presh Talwalkar, people get one as the answer due to an old way of interpreting the division sign. “Historically the symbol / was used to mean you should divide by the entire product on the right of the symbol,” he wrote in a blog post. So, if you got 1 as your answer, it’s not right, but not your fault either for learning this method.
Now that’s enough of math for a day!! You can come back for more, or maybe just let me know your fav viral Math Problem!!
Latest posts by firstname.lastname@example.org (see all)
- What is Game-A-Thon and Why It Should Be on Your List - October 27, 2018
- ASSET Winter Round – 2017 Toppers List - May 10, 2018
- Three Math Problems that Broke the Internet - February 23, 2018